Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Catchy tunes on Ebay

There are currently two songs around on the same theme: Ebay. One track is simply called "Ebay", was released last year and is a cover of "I want it that way" by the Backstreet Boys. The other one is more catchy; I simply cannot get "On Ebay", on the new album 'un' by Chumbawamba, out of my system. I catch myself humming it constantly. But beneath the stirring tunes lie serious intentions. The song is a critical remark on how the US deals with the situation in Iraq. It can also be seen as a concern for the risk of finding Iraqi treasures on Ebay.

"Stuff happens, freedom’s untidy and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of this stuff cropped up for sale on Ebay at the weekend.", band member Alice says in an interview on rock-city.co.uk (where the reporter repeteadly misspells the name of the band). Well, let's hope that her misgivings don't turn out to be justfied.

And while I'm at it, I'll recommend a great band, though of a less political nature than Chumbawamba: Nightwish and their new album Once. Superb!

No comments: