Sunday, March 19, 2006

2 years anniversary

Today, two years have passed since my first, personal blog post. And a lot of confusion has been dispersed with those two years, I'd say. When I talked about blogs back then, and describing my academic interest in blogs, few knew what I was talking about. Many didn't see the point in up loading one's personal issues and inner thoughts for public scrutiny, as if a blog would only play the role of a diary. A general reception my "latest passion" (I'm known for rushing into things with great passion and enthusiasm, but not always nurturing them to survive) got was scepticism, al though mixed with a drop of curiosity. Now, the scenery is completely different. A couple of weeks ago, a guy came up to me in a bar saying "Hey, you're the one keeping the Paeonia blog. I occasionally read it." He recognized me from the photo in the sidebar to the right. Some ask for advice on how to post, some want to engage me in a intellectual debate on the publicity and responsibility involved in blogging that, unfortunately, some tend to forget and some feel blogging is a clear sign of the blogger's lack of more important, more meaningful things to do. The fact that blogging is a topic for discussion now and more and more are seeing the advantages of this way of distributing information and thoughts delights me.

Looking back at what I first felt like stating to the world, I realize it wasn't all that original at all. It was some words of wisdom of one of my favorite writers, Voltaire. I still have this quote (Il faut cultiver notre jardin) as a greeting in my pda. To honour this, I'll give you a few more devices à la Voltaire to chew on:

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." (Epistle on the "Three Imposters").

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." (Essay on Tolerance)

No comments: